One Great George Street is the headquarters of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and was built between 1910 and 1913 as the result of an architectural competition won by James Miller, RSA (1860-1947)
The room names have been taken from civil engineering’s most important contributors. The Thomas Telford Theatre was named after the Institution’s first president.
Between 1987 and 1991 saw the modernisation of the building, to make better use of the rooms available. During this time the Godfrey Mitchell Theatre was added and the lower ground two meeting rooms were created. More recent improvements include the renovation of the toilets on the ground floor to make them more in line with the five star feel of the rest of the venue, a new in-situ PA system has been installed in the Great Hall and the building now benefits from wireless broadband Internet access.
The building has always been available for its members to use for meetings and banquets, but it first became a dedicated conference venue for outside companies in 1989.
One Great George Street is part of the Film London Partnership and has been used as a preferred London film location for various productions.