In 2021, we were awarded Gold ECOsmart status which reflects the extensive measures we take to fully embrace environmental sustainability. ECOsmart is the accreditation programme of Greengage Solutions – recognising and supporting eco-friendly hotels and conferences venues that meet certified standards of sustainability.
One Great George Street
In the run up to the summer of 2012, we worked with the Mayor of London to make the London Media Centre housed at our venue as sustainable as possible, in line with the wider ambition for London 2012 to be the most sustainable Games ever.
We understand the importance of protecting the environment and take our Corporate and Social Responsibility and Environment policy very seriously. We act when necessary to take environmental action by managing our resources efficiently. We also encourage and influence our clients and suppliers to adopt similar procedures.
One Great George Street has a ‘green team’ which meets regularly to monitor action plans and generate new ideas for introduction across the business.
We consider the following when assessing the organisation’s environmental impact:
- The amount of electricity and gas usage
- Water consumption and use. We have an on-site water purification system which has saved annually an estimated 60,000 bottles a year
- Reduction and disposal of waste
- Increased recycling
- Food Legacy Pledge
- Sustainable Fish City Pledge
- Use of biodegradable cleaning products where possible
- Procuring goods and services from suppliers with CSR policies in place
- Encourage clients and visitors to use our environmental meetings package
- Source where possible all food and drink by local and sustainable means
- Regularly train and encourage staff to set an example and contribute to the environmental policies and practices throughout the business
- Excellent public transport connections
- Fair trade products in use include:-
- Our taxi contract is with Green Tomato Cars. They are renowned for their low emission vehicles, 200% CO2 emission offset, fare sharing technology and driver dispatch software technology
- New facilities and refurbishments meet predetermined energy efficiency targets
- Delegate supplies are mostly made from recycled materials including:-
- Flipchart paper
- Flipchart marker pens are recycled
- Electronic signage is used at reception
- Audio visual equipment and support on-site
- Encourage the use of video conferencing to clients and team members
We were commended by Venues Event Management when they hosted their first ‘client education’ programme with us. The ‘Sustainability Event’ was led by a representative of BP Target Neutral, Neil McGuiness who helped delegates understand the new ISO 12121 environmental standard.
We regularly discuss and review our green carbon footprint to reduce its size further through a wide range of sustainable venue practices in Westminster. We welcome suggestions from our clients. If you have a green idea you would like us to consider please email us.