Top 5 Tips for Going Green at Corporate Events
We’re excited to welcome in 2016 with further commitment to Sustainability at One Great George Street and more sustainability upgrades planned as part of our refurbishment this year – follow us on Twitter @OGGSVenue & #OGGSRefurb or sign up for sustainability-specific e-news updates to stay tuned. If you’re planning on ensuring your corporate events are green, here are my five top tips…
- Venue: Check your venue’s Green Credentials and ensure their vision is aligned to yours. Ensure the venue has a solid CSR Policy like One Great George Street’s CSR Policy and official Green Tourism accreditation. The Green Tourism Business Scheme (which One Great George Street is accredited by) is the national sustainable tourism certification scheme for the UK. It is the only national scheme to be independently validated by the International Centre for Responsible Tourism (ICRT) on behalf of VisitEngland. Businesses opting to join Green Tourism are assessed by a qualified grading advisor against a rigorous set of criteria, covering a range of areas, like energy and water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and more.
- Transport: Ensure your event has sustainable transport links for your delegates (Tube/Bus/Walk) or recommend a Green Taxi Company such as Green Tomato Cars (London’s original eco car service) and communicate these to delegates and encourage them to use.
- Registration: Encourage your delegates to pre-register online and consider using an ‘App’ for your event rather than registration forms.
- Green Package: Check your event offers a Delegate Green Package, this can include everything from the use of recycled paper and pens to sourcing sustainable or locally produced food/drink.
- Technology: Reduce the use of paper handouts and materials by making information downloadable and available for viewing online; consider using tablets instead of pads to take notes.