[Skip to Content]

One Great George Street Celebrates its 100th Birthday!


The headquarters of the Institution of Civil Engineers, One Great George Street celebrates its centennial anniversary on Monday 25th October 2010.

Designed by architect James Miller, whose design was based around maximising the use of space and light the building officially opened on the 4th November 1913.

One Great George Street was one of the first steel framed buildings (not long after The Ritz hotel in 1905) to be built in London after the building regulations were passed in 1909, which permitted the use of steel framing for the first time without the need for use of load bearing external walls.

Top quality materials including the use of Portland Stone in the entrance and on the façade, as well as the use of oak and walnut which make up the panelling in the ground floor meeting rooms were used in the construction of the building.

The foundation stone was laid by the then president, James Charles Inglis on the 25th October 1910. Before laying the foundation stone, the President placed in a recess in the stone a copy of that day’s Times newspaper, the Telford, Watt and Stephenson medals, and copies of the List of Members and of the Institution’s Charter and By-laws’.

The Trowel & Mallet used to lay the original foundation stone is in safe keeping at One Great George Street.

Since the inception of the building, One Great George Street has continually been maintained and refurbished in a sensitive manner to retain the traditional qualities, whilst creating a modern venue with state of the art facilities.

An exhibition which includes many of the heritage documents will be on display outside the main library at the Institution of Civil Engineers at One Great George Street during October.

At the current President’s retiring supper on 26th of October, 2010 a time capsule and new plaque will be revealed to commemorate the centenary of the building.